A 630-acre natural area park with grand views of the Potomac River and C&O Canal. The site includes historic Civil War ruins of an 1852 Union outpost camp and blockhouse used to guard the Potomac River crossing from Confederate attack. Many existing trails are part of the historic Civil War complex for which the park is named. The trails are remains of the transportation system that furnished materials and supplies to the troops stationed here. A Montgomery Parks Archeology site.