This location, along the Potomac River at the edge of the Agricultural Reserve and just off the C&O Canal towpath, has been the site of an operating ferry since 1782. Known as Conrad’s Ferry prior to the Civil War, it was renamed for local Confederate colonel Elijah Veirs White. Throughout the Civil War, this was a strategic crossing point on the river closely monitored by Federal troops. The current ferryboat, the Jubal Early, is the last operating ferry across the Potomac. It runs from 5am to 11pm, daily, weather permitting. White’s Ferry is just outside Poolesville and has a shop and deli open seasonally, with canoes, a picnic pavilion, picnic tables and grills, all available to rent.