Heritage Harvest Festival
Thank you to all of our participating farms and all of our visitors who joined us in celebrating autumn and the fall harvest in the Montgomery County Agricultural Reserve for our 1st Annual Heritage Harvest on October 20, 2018! A wide array of farms were open free to the public including a farm market and winery, CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm, animal sanctuary, living history farm, lavender farm, and much more. Fun family activities included farm tours, markets, crafts for kids, adorable farm animals, historic structures, and food for sale.
Based on this year’s success, we plan to expand the event to a full weekend in 2019! Mark your calendars to join us for the 2nd Annual Heritage Harvest on October 5 & 6, 2019! Come out and Explore Your Local Farms!
2018 Heritage Harvest Participants:
Button Farm Living History Center
16820 Black Rock Road, Germantown 202-903-4140
- A living history center depicting plantation life in the 1850s, including heritage livestock and garden.
- Self-guided tours, museum garden, heritage breed animals and bee hives, historical farm chores (grind corn to feed to the chickens and hogs!), games, and scavenger hunt.
Chocolates and Tomatoes
11104 Watkins Road, Germantown 301-655-4000
- A sustainable farm producing organic vegetables and hand-crafted chocolates featuring items grown on the farm.
- Tours of this suburban farm, games, music, produce for sale.
Common Root Farm
18021 Bowie Mill Road, Derwood 301-788-4397
- A small-scale vegetable farm using regenerative, ecologically sound farming techniques.
- Guided tours at 1, 2 & 3pm; learn about growing methods, see farm equipment and demonstrations of small-scale farming techniques.
Rocklands Farm and Winery
14531 Montevideo Road, Poolesville 301-825-8075
- Winery, vineyard, holistic farming, and market on an historical property in the Ag Reserve.
- An historical farm property; stroll through gardens, see grazing livestock, all with beautiful vineyard views. Handcrafted wine/tastings, farm market with grass-fed beef and lamb and more; wood-fired pizza. Open 11am to 6pm.
Shepherd’s Hey Farm
24020 Old Hundred Road (Rte. 109), Comus 301-908-9332
- Sheep and wool products, plus chickens, turkeys, & geese.
- Displays of sheep and wood products, demonstrations of spinning wool, plus sheep, chickens, turkeys, and geese. Natural colored yarns and sheepskin pelts for sale.
Soleado Lavender Farm
23611 W. Harris Road, Dickerson 301-922-5964
- A scenic, family-owned farm growing several varieties of French and English lavender.
- Farm tour, talk on lavender, artisan vendors, lavender products for sale.
Star Gazing Farm Animal Sanctuary
16760 White Store Road, Boyds 301-349-0802
- A sanctuary for a wide variety of neglected and stray farm animals.
Susanna Farm Nursery
17700 White Ground Road, Boyds 301-972-7513
- A family-owned nursery in a beautiful natural setting specializing in dwarf and unusual evergreens and Japanese maples.
- Tour this beautifully landscaped property with ponds, historic buildings, and gardens. Open 10am to 5pm.
Three Graces Farm
14401 Partnership Road, Poolesville 651-347-4369
- Site of the historic Joseph P. Dyson House, original Oaklands, now home to Lady Farmer.
- Small-batch seasonal, sustainable women’s apparel and lifestyle products. Honeybee and beekeeping demonstrations; live music from noon to 1pm.
Waredaca Brewing Co.
4017 Damascus Road, Laytonsville 301-774-BEER
- A farm and brewery fostering agricultural stewardship located on a former summer camp site.
22711 Wildcat Road, Germantown 301-802-8489
- A pick-your-own apple orchard.
- Pick your own apples, picnic area, hard cider for sale. Open 9am to 5pm.
Lindenwood Farm 301-651-1866
20415 Westerly Road, Poolesville
Studio Open House at Claire Howard Fine Art; landscapes, seascapes, and snowfall created in oil using a palette knife technique.
Alden Farms 301-367-3879
19215 Beallsville Road, Beallsville
Sculpture garden and gallery of stone sculptor David Therriault
Something Earthy Pottery 301-414-5435
24410 Hipsley Mill Road, Laytonsville
Pottery studio and local artists’ gallery on a working farm
Art of Fire 301-253-6642
7901 Hawkins Creamery Road, Gaithersburg
Contemporary glass blowing studio housed in a dairy barn.